The Galiano Activity Centre has partnered with the Gulf Islands School District to launch a pilot childcare program this fall at the Galiano Community School. The curriculum will be child-focused, with an emphasis on nature and play-based learning.
This is an exciting opportunity to build Galiano’s first licensed non-profit daycare from the ground up. The Manager will play a key role in the formation of this new program, working with staff and the management team to develop policies and determine the direction of the daycare.
The Manager reports to the Activity Centre Board of Directors, and provides and coordinates the necessary support, resources and leadership to ensure the provision of safe and nurturing care to young children in a group setting, in accordance with the goals and curriculum plans of the daycare, and in strict compliance with the BC Childcare Licensing Regulations.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities:
• Ensures and facilitates the smooth functioning of all aspects of the daycare in order to best serve children, families and staff. Ensures licensing requirements are met at all times.
• Facilitates the recruitment and coordinates the selection, hiring and orientation of all new staff to the daycare. Provides supervision, leadership and support to all staff.
• Markets the daycare to prospective parents. Oversees and manages all elements of daycare enrolment, including liaising with CCOF office. Ensures the smooth integration of new children into the daycare.
• Develops and maintains positive relationships and regular communication with parents and with third parties including school board and school staff.
• Experience in Early Childhood Education or a related human/social services field.
• Valid Standard First Aid and Level “C” CPR.
• Negative criminal record check.
• Demonstrated management/supervisory experience.
• Solid knowledge of the BC Childcare Licensing Regulations.
• Superior interpersonal skills, a team player.
• Administrative computer skills.
• Experience managing budgets and overseeing purchasing.
• Excellent problem solving skills and conflict resolution abilities.
• High degree of initiative and dedication.
• License to practice ECE is an asset.
• Experience managing a non-profit or successful small business is an asset
• Grant-writing experience is an asset.
• Experience with program development, planning, assessment and evaluation is an asset.
Position Start Date: April 1, 2017 (subject to funding).
Hours: 16 hours weekly through August, work schedule to be determined; then 12 hrs/weekly.
Must be available Tuesdays, Thursdays and possibly Fridays.
Please apply by submitting your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 10, 2017. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful applicants will be subject to a criminal record check.